May 29, 2007

seasons for everything under heaven II


The first shall be last and the last shall be first. It is better to give then to recieve. These sum up a truly ground breaking philosophy. Opposite of what the world desires yet the nature of God's heart. It is an attitude that recognizes that everybody is equal and precious and that if we reach out beyond our own personal bubble the quality of life improves in and around us. These are sayings we should remind ourselves everyday for with it comes a fullness of life. This satisfaction is what those seeking to be in first place are actually trying to find.

I have mentioned in an earlier post that touched upon the concept of seasons and how important it is to recognize that despite of what looks like conflict between two seemingly different truths, opposites attract, compliment, complete and are interdependent to each other. To bring these truths together they need to take turns. This taking of turns can also be known as a changing of seasons. "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven."(Ecclesiastes 3:1)

But for just a minute let me be the "devil's advocate". When I once heard a sermon on the topic of the first shall be last and the last shall be first my silly mind conjured up a scene in which there were about ten christians in line at the RMV. The first one in line remembered the first/last virtue mentioned in the bible so he decided to be nice and let the next person go as he proceeded to the end of the line. The next person followed suit as well as the next and the next and so on until the first person circled back to first place again.

Could it be that there is a time to be first and a time to be last? and could it be that there is a time to recieve as well as give? I just looked at the bible and it says "But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." (Matthew 19:30). Other verses leave out the word "many". This tells me that the season in which we recieve and are in first place should only be a very short season but it should still happen. It's okay to indulge every now and then but if that season goes for too long the quality of life decreases and God will seem distant.

3 comments:

A-Typical Sociologist said...

Very profound. You are those who is selective with words, but when put on paper or spoken are very insighful. Hey if you two are not busy I am available thursday or friday of this week.

Also, here is the link to that band I mentioned,

http://www.antigonerising.com/

They will be performing on June 30th at the Paradise Rock Club at 7pm. Let me know if you two are interested.

carl said...

Thanks Carlos, I checked Antigone Rising's music out last night and I liked them. We might just be interested, I like going to concerts, we'll see. Also, I think as far as I know friday is free for us.

A-Typical Sociologist said...

give me a call or give your # and we can set something up for friday

Carlos