December 19, 2007

emerging out of division?

A few weeks back I was asked to explain and describe the emergent movement. I laughed and said "no". I was just kidding so I gave a less than adequate description but I thought what I said was okay. I came across a post which described in part what the emergent movement is about, atleast when it comes to unity in the church. This is what attracts me to the emergent conversation. In my mind, talking is the beginning of unity and unity is a major desire of Jesus' (john 17).

2 comments:

IZenBet said...

idk about the emergent movement yet, i've been to a few cohort meetings in beantown, but the term univeralism comes to mind, social awareness gets dangerously close to putting God on second fiddle...

carl said...

There are some parts and some voices within the emergent movement that I'm not so sure of either. Some of it on the other hand I would consider to be quite prophetic (what the Spirit is saying about right here and now). Since the emergent movement is best described as a conversation it all depends I guess on who's talking.