March 06, 2008

On Side B

I deleted my other blog. I thought it was lame and figured why make a rule for me to only post artistic/musical stuff on that certain blog and not this one. So I'll be even lamer (I don't care) and repost some selections (like this one)from that blog every now and then...

The year is 1996. I am almost fifteen years old and I have just been at a youth group event with my buds and we all have been changed so to say. We were as high as a kite, our hearts were strangely warmed, we were baptized with the Holy Spirit and very in love with Jesus. This was not just because of this event but more so God planting seeds of the gospel during previous years especially from this very cool dude named Aaron who was my youth group leader. The seeds came out of the ground.

After the event we had a sleep over at our church and this was when Aaron gave me a blank tape of stuff he recorded. I never heard of any type of christian music that was good, only hymns (I like hymns now by the way) and that sort. He said that this band called Jars of Clay was pretty good, maybe a little mellow for my taste (I was into some hardcore stuff back then). I told him I was open to any type of music which was true and gave a listen. Not bad I thought as I listened to Jars of Clay's debut album. He failed to mention what was on the other side of the tape. This was another band that I never heard of and apparently was not christian I guess. The music on this side of the tape was Rusted Root's "when I woke". This was a supercool album, still one of my favorites. I don't think this was just an accident. I would even go as far as to say that this was God showing me what musical excellence was(yes Jars of Clay was included as well...especially now). It was also here on out that my general taste in music started to mellow out and I grew my hair out and wore my clothes to where I was a mix between Cliff Burton and ... I don't know... something hippy.

Aaron brought along his friend Chris who we just met a few weeks before and this event was like the shift between leaders. Chris was just as dear to me and significant for my spiritual walk with and towards Jesus. During the sleep over I think Aaron left around midnight and Chris later talked about worship songs and said he wanted to teach us a few so he did. Me and my friends were all starting out on guitar so we may not of known how to play every chord that he mentioned but we were learning stuff anyways. I remember the song "He is exalted" was my favorite out of all the ones he taught. This was my first time playing newer worship songs.

Rusted Root kicks butt. The lead singer was an acquired taste but one that was acquired very fast. The percussion/hand drums with acoustic folky funkiness was soooo cool. Everything about this band I liked. Years later (five maybe) and supposedly more mature in my walk with Jesus and in my musicianship, I was glad to come across what worship with hand drums and acoustic guitars could sound like. The enter the worship circle series has been a source of encouragement for me. Encouragement to push even more forward with my music stuff in regards to worship.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

It's probably a good thing to have combined both blogs--- and your blogs are a worthwhile addition to the blogosphere!

carl said...

thank you.