March 23, 2008

seasons for everything under heaven V


Balance has always been a goal and desire of my heart. When I consider Christ and His character I see the most balanced individual in history. What I mean by balance is living through the tension of paradox. Jesus is a paradox. He is God and He is man. He balances a contemplative and solitude life along with a beautiful social life. We all need a balanced amount of opposites like play and work, saving and spending, exercise and rest, etc. yet how do we achieve this without becoming schizophrenic?

Opposites attract, compliment, complete and are interdependent to each other. Yet I have found that they need to take turns. When opposites take turns, contradiction is no longer present. This taking of turns can also be known as a changing of seasons. King Solomon said that "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven."(Ecclesiastes 3:1) When it comes to christian doctrine and christian living there are many contradictions. We are told to be peacemakers yet we are warned that we will stir the waters with controversy and walls will appear between family members. We are told to not be drunk with wine and then we see Jesus creating wine out of water because the wine ran out during the wedding party.

In this discerning and balancing of seasons I have struggled. I try to listen to the Spirit and consider the example of Jesus. I mess up. Others mess up. I get frustrated when I or someone else reacts to something so extremely that there is a pendulum swing in conviction. Moderation is thrown out the window and division is apparent. This frustration of mine has just been festering and I know it. I've had good intentions but perhaps I've lacked some hidden goodness. Have I in my search for balance been too extreme in my reaction towards imbalance? Lately these days I think the Lord has brought a bit of tenderness into my situation and I am starting to come to a conclusion. I would say that there is a season of balance and there is a season of imbalance. When Christ is king over someone's heart I think He sees the need for the pendulum to swing all the way to the other side in that person's life before it lands in the center. Jesus is present in the imbalanced place, not just the balanced. I have been slightly mistaken.

Consider what God has done:
Who can straighten
what he has made crooked?

When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider:
God has made the one
as well as the other.
Therefore, a man cannot discover
anything about his future.

In this meaningless life of mine I have seen both of these:
a righteous man perishing in his righteousness,
and a wicked man living long in his wickedness.

Do not be overrighteous,
neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked,
and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one
and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.
(Ecclesiastes 7:13-18)

..thanks for the verses sweetpea!

IV
III
II
I

No comments: