April 21, 2008

Turning Japanese, I'm turning Japanese, I really think so


OK. So that took about five workers to squeeze the passengers inside the train. Imagine if this were to take place in America. People would have a fit and perhaps for good reason. Pick pocketing along with other concerns would be more than enough reason for american subways to have a limit of passengers whether determined by social or legal standards.

Not to pick on America but why is this so. I think it is safe to assume that pick pocketing is not as prevalent in japanese subways as it is in american subways or else people would wait for the next train. It seems to me that the passengers are comfortable and expect to be squashed together. Does this selfless attitude for the greater good of the community seem to be a more common attribute among the japanese than here in America? Is it selfless? Consider baseball in Japan. It is normal to throw well over a hundred pitches and full games while here it is expected that a pitcher not play a full game. I am not a sociologist but this gets me thinking.

3 comments:

Tommie said...

oh boy. it does happen in tokyo every week day! it is just too crazy!

carl said...

I bet, sure looks crazy! are you ever concerned about pick pocketing or get claustrophobic?

carl said...

well, I watched the video of the song "turning japanese" on youtube and was surprised to read in the comments the debate over what the song meant. The lead singer of the Vapours randomly says yes and no when asked whether the song is about masturbation but I think he originally wrote the song because of his crush for a japanese girl and out of feeling distant from his familiar american culture. Perhaps I'm naive.

I would prefer that interpretation just like I would prefer to interpret this display of selflessness in the subways as being noble on the part of the passengers and not because of an oppressive administration.

...or perhaps it's not black and white like what the lead singer of the Vapours likes to insinuate in his inconsistent answers....