June 06, 2008

freedom

Music is easy for me. Is it really that hard for anyone? It is a universal language of the heart all around the world. Music is not the only form of worship but for me it helps me connect with the Holy Spirit. A song is something which can be produced and done over and over so it is rather efficient and ... umm easy when it comes to a time of devotion, unlike other arts that require more preparation. Dancing I can see being very natural, primal even, like the rhythm of drums, visual and audio combined in the physical. I have a brother in Christ who I haven't seen in a couple years. He is paralyzed from the waist down along with slurred speech etc. He once spoke out and admonished/encouraged us all during a worship service that "God loves it when we worship Him physically and physically move our bodies to show Him love. He was sad because he couldn't as much as before."

Before I go any further, you should also know that I am a stoic person. I am swedish, german and english so it is a rare thing to see me smile (just kidding) dance. My former pastor of twelve years would get the church on more than one occasion to rock side to side to something corny like "we bring a sacrifice of praise into the house of the Lord". One time it stunk. The next I had to admit I was in honest worship before my God.

I am very quiet but if you happen to spend a very considerable amount of time with me while I'm at home you will find an incredibly wacky person that sometimes won't be quiet. Not because I'm talking but because I'm speaking gibberish that has a phat beat to it. In that moment I am free. Not just my spirit inside but my physical body as well. God made me this way and loves it when I fully express myself. On the flip side (or should I say dark side) if you spend a considerable amount of time with me you may observe a mad man that talks like a jerk. That’s because if you've spent a long time with me it is reasonable to believe that you love and accept me as I am so the psychological part of me tells both the free and good part of me as well as the dark side that it's OK to show themselves to this other person, they won't punch you. God is always where we are. We can't hide so might as well show our full selves to Him.

What is natural to you? Be free in that... and whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:17)

No comments: